This is my last Ipsy Glam bag review (more about why I cancelled my subscription below). My August bag arrived late this month, just like my July bag. The August bag’s theme was fittingly “Beauty Schooled”, just in time for back-to-school. This month may be the cutest bag yet, a plastic cylinder shaped bag with orange polka-dots.
In the August bag was:
- Urban Decay Perversion Mascara (0.1 oz mini): $26.00 for full 0.4 oz size
- Lord & Berry Silk Kajal Kohl Eye Pencil (0.02 oz mini): Could not find a price
- Coastal Scents Forever Blush Sample Duo in “Fresh” & “Elegant” (0.09 oz sample): $8.70 each for full 0.28 oz sizes
- Jersey Shore Sun Mongongo Lip Conditioner: $6.00
- Paula’s Choice Skincare Clear Ultra-Light Daily Mattifying Fluid SPF 30+ (0.5 0z sample size): $29.59 for full 2 oz size
Retail prices are in CAD and don’t include taxes or applicable shipping.
The total retail value of the August bag (excluding the Kohl Eye Pencil I couldn’t find a price for) if I were to purchase the full-sized products (not including taxes or shipping, etc.) would be: $78.99 CAD.
I was excited to try the Urban Decay Perversion Mascara but I have to say I was less than impressed with it. Sephora is currently selling it with the Subversion Primer. I don’t know if you’d get a more dramatic, volumizing effect if you used the primer, but it didn’t wow me. I still love my Guerlain Maxi Lash.
The Lord & Berry Silk Kajal Kohl Eye Pencil was a bit of a fail as it was really smudgy and not the type that stays put very well. I’d have to be doing a REALLY smokey eye! Lord & Berry is not a brand that’s available in Canada.
I haven’t tried any Coastal Scents makeup so the blush sample was neat, especially the fact that it was a duo so you get to try two shades. My favourite was the Jersey Shore Sun Mongongo Lip Conditioner! Love this lip balm!!! I have no idea where to buy it in Canada, except on Amazon.com.
So, I decided to cancel my Ipsy subscription. Why?
It wasn’t because I was unhappy with the Glam bags or the products I was receiving. I actually had a lot of fun getting them each month and although some of the products were misses, many were hits. Here are some of the reasons I decided to cancel:
- I have been subscribing for a year now. The “novelty” or the fun factor was starting to wear off a bit.
- I now have 12 cosmetic bags! I was starting to run out of things to do with them 🙂
- I was accumulating a lot of samples and was finding I wasn’t able to keep up with trying them all.
- I was looking for ways to save some money in my budget and wasn’t as interested in the expense of a monthly subscription service.
I hope my reviews of my monthly Ipsy bags have been helpful for those of you curious about getting a subscription! Maybe I’ll subscribe to another type of monthly sample service eventually. Who knows.
Thanks for stopping by ❤
Nerdy Librarian Girl