It seems like everyone is obsessed with coconut oil lately. I’ve always been a huge fan of coconut (particularly pina coladas!). I add a tablespoon of coconut butter to my morning smoothie and often cook with coconut oil. About three years ago, I started incorporating coconut oil into my beauty routine too. The brand I typically use is Artisana Organics Raw Virgin Coconut Oil. I was sent Skinny & Co. Coconut Oil to try out (plus extra to giveaway! Details below) and I’m genuinely loving the 100% raw, alkaline coconut oil. In Canada, Skinny Coconut Oil is available at Sephora. It is $15.00 CAD.
I’m liking it better than other coconut oils I have tried for two reasons. The first is the smell. Some coconut oils I have used have no scent at all, and the Artisana only has a faint coconut scent. As soon as you open the Skinny Coconut Oil you get such an amazing coconut aroma. You just want to eat it! Skinny & Co. explain that because of their unique zero heat extraction method, theirs is the closest you can get to a raw coconut. As someone with sensitive skin, I’m sometimes bummed that I can’t use any of the scented beauty products out there; they smell amazing but will irritate the heck out of my skin. The Skinny Coconut Oil makes me feel like I get to use a luxuriously scented product and its all natural.
The second thing I like about the Skinny Coconut Oil is, unlike brands sold in grocery and health food stores that are primarily marketed as food products and come in a huge jar, the Skinny Coconut Oil packaging is similar to a jar of face cream.
It fits in my medicine cabinet, doesn’t look out of place on my night stand, and makes it much easier to use as a beauty product. It would also be much easier to travel with or pop in your purse.
I thought I’d share with you the top 5 ways I use coconut oil. I know it seems like there’s a lot of hype around coconut oil, so Nerdy Librarian Girl got extra nerdy for this post and actually did some research (my favourite!) into the scientific literature to assure you that the benefits of virgin coconut oil have actually been tested and proven. This post has footnotes! 🙂
One: To moisturize and hydrate my skin (especially extra dry areas like elbows and feet)
So many moisturizers are loaded with artificial fragrances, dyes, and perfumes which I am very sensitive to. What I love about coconut oil is that it’s completely natural and doesn’t irritate sensitive skin. Plus, virgin coconut oil is scientifically proven to be an effective moisturizer, penetrating skin better than other oils, and has even been shown to improve skin conditions like dermatitis (1).
Two: On my nails and cuticles
This is my favourite way to use coconut oil! It leaves my nails looking shiny and healthy and works better than any other cuticle balms or creams I’ve tried.
Three: As a lip balm
Skinny Coconut Oil is literally the yummiest lip balm. It tastes so much more “coconutty” than other brands.
Four: As a deep-conditioning hair treatment
Coconut oil has actually been found to significantly reduce protein loss in both undamaged and damaged hair compared to other oils which did not help at all in reducing protein loss from hair(2). This could be because of coconut oil’s molecular structure that enables it to penetrate inside the hair shaft. I personally don’t tend to use it as a leave-in conditioner as I think it makes my hair look a little too oily. Instead, I like to massage it into my ends before bed and leave it in overnight, and then wash my hair the next morning. I find it leaves my hair softer, smoother and less frizzy.
Five: On cuts and scrapes
There is also evidence that virgin coconut oil can help wounds heal faster(3). If I get a little cut or scrape, I will rub a small amount of virgin coconut oil on it while it heals.
If you’d like to try Skinny Coconut Oil, I am giving away one of the jars I was sent to a subscriber. Its super easy to enter:
Plus you can gain additional entries by:
- Sharing this post on any social media site of your choice (1 additional entry)
- Reblogging this post (1 additional entry)
Because I’m not too sure about the rules when it comes to shipping a food product to other countries, this giveaway is only open to Canada and the U.S. The winner will be chosen at random and announced on my blog and I will also contact them. Giveaway closes Friday, January 29, 2016. Good luck everyone!
1. Viljoen, J. M., Cowley, A., du Preez, J., Gerber, M., & du Plessis J. (2015). Penetration enhancing effects of selected natural oils utilized in topical dosage forms. Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, 41(12), 2045-54; Evangelista, M. T., Abad-Casintahan, F., & Lopez-Villafuerte, L. (2014). The effect of topical virgin coconut oil on SCORAD index, transepidermal water loss, and skin capacitance in mild to moderate pediatric atopic dermatitis: A randomized, double-blind, clinical trial. International Journal of Dermatology, 53(1), 100-8; Verallo-Rowell, V. M., Dillague, K. M., & Syah-Tjundawan, B. S. (2008). Novel antibacterial and emollient effects of coconut and virgin olive oils in adult atopic dermatitis. Dermatitis, 19(6), 308-15; Agero, A. L., & Verallo-Rowell, V. M. (2004). A randomized double-blind controlled trial comparing extra virgin coconut oil with mineral oil as a moisturizer for mild to moderate xerosis. Dermatitis, 15(3), 109-16.
2. Rele, A. S., & Mohile, R. B. (2003 ). Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage Journal of Cosmetic Science, 54(2), 175-92.
3. Nevin, K. G., & Rajamohan, T. (2010). Effect of topical application of virgin coconut oil on skin components and antioxidant status during dermal wound healing in young rats. Skin Pharmacology and Physiology, 23(6), 290-7.
Thanks for reading!
Nerdy Librarian Girl ❤
Disclaimer: This item was provide to me for free by Skinny & Co. This is not a paid review. All opinions are my own and 100% my honest opinion.