In terms of liquid foundation, I’m really happy with my Make Up For Ever HD Foundation, but I am such a fan of bareMinerals I wanted to try their new bareSkin foundation. This is one of the things I picked up while shopping in Vegas.
The bareSkin Pure Brightening Serum Foundation is “Clinically proven tone-correcting mineral foundation and brightening serum in one…this ultra-thin, skin-perfecting fluid provides seamless adjustable coverage, a natural finish and the look and feel of beautiful skin while delivering a noticeably brighter, more youthful appearance. Made with the bare minimum ingredients and formulated without oil, silicone, parabens or fragrance.”
I got the brush designed to go with it, which has a little “reservoir” in the center where you’re supposed to drop 1-2 drops of foundation and buff onto your skin in circular motions. bareMinerals says to add more drops to increase coverage.
So here is the overview of what I liked and disliked about this foundation.
What I liked:
- Good colour match! bareMinerals has 20 shades and the lightest one, “Bare Porcelain 01”, was light enough for me which hardly ever happens with liquid foundation. And it didn’t oxidize or darken after applied.
- Squeeze bottle. Very sanitary!
- Didn’t irritate my skin or cause any breakouts.
What I disliked:
- The smell! It has an indescribable, unpleasant smell in my opinion.
- Greasy, oily texture. I didn’t like the texture of this foundation at all. It reminded me of trying to rub in greasy sunblock. Even after shaking it well, it almost seemed like the ingredients were trying to separate.
- The brush. The Perfecting Face Brush didn’t do it for me. No amount of “circular motions” could get this stuff to look blended and streak free. Once I gave up on the brush and switched to my Beauty Blender sponge, I had better luck. SKIP THE BRUSH!
- Difficult to apply/blend. Even with the Beauty Blender, this foundation took a lot of work to look blended and natural. I didn’t particularly like how it sat on my skin.
As you’ve probably guessed, this foundation was a “miss” for me. I have tried to make it work, but I just don’t care for it. The bareMinerals powder foundation is amazing, but I am disappointed by their liquid foundation.
I paid $29 USD for the foundation and $28 USD for the brush. In Canada, the foundation is $36 CAD and the brush is $35 CAD.
SUBSCRIBER GIVEAWAY: If any of my fair-skinned subscribers would like to try this, I would be happy to mail you the foundation and brush for free (Canadian addresses only please). I’m not going to use it, so I’d love to be able to pass it on, and maybe you will like it better than I did! First subscriber to leave me a comment, it’s yours! [UPDATE: It’s been claimed]
Thanks for stopping by ❤
Nerdy Librarian Girl