I have been curious about the much hyped, cult favourite brand, Wet n Wild, but it’s not widely available where I live, and although it is sold at one drugstore near me, the selection is very small.
Recently, I ordered some of the Wet n wild eyeshadows through FTB Beauty. They seemed to have all of the Wet n Wild products available so I was able to get all of the neutral palettes I was interested in trying out. I ordered three of the Color Icon Trios in 335 “Silent Treatment”, 380B “Walking on Eggshells”, and 381B “Sweet as Candy”, and the 8-pan eyeshadow palette in 738 “Comfort Zone”.
What I liked:
- The colours! All of the palettes had very pretty, wearable, neutral shades. It can be hard to find “subtle” eyeshadow shades in drugstore brands.
- Overall, fairly pigmented.
- Easy to blend.
- Didn’t irritate my eyelids, which tend to be sensitive.
What I didn’t like:
- Too soft and crumbly! It’s nice to have a soft, blendable shadow, but these are REALLY soft. If you look at the pics, I haven’t even used these that much and have already eroded huge chunks out of some of the shades. The shadow kind of goes everywhere when you put your brush in it.
- Fall-out. I would get a lot of shadow falling down under my eye while applying.
- Some inconsistent texture/pigmentation. Although most of the shades were smooth, a few were pretty patchy and uneven, especially the darker or matte shades (see swatch of “Silent Treatment” trio for example)
Wet n Wild eyeshadows have been compared to much higher priced brands, like MAC. While I think that for their very low price these are good quality, I don’t think they compare in texture to MAC or some of the other higher-end eyeshadows I have. The one big difference would be in how soft they are. I was losing a lot of product while I was picking up the shadows on my brush, and then losing more while applying them. Based on how much product has already been swept away, I think you would hit pan on these much quicker than with higher-end shadows. MAC might cost more, but think about how long it takes you to use up a MAC eyeshadow.
I think if your preferred price point is more drugstore, the Wet n Wild shadows are for sure the best drugstore brand I’ve tired. However, I don’t think I’m convinced that they are comparable quality to some of the higher-end brands I have. I like them a lot, but I’m not wind-in-my-hair-the-hills-are-alive-with-the-sound-of-music in love with them.
Price details: Through FTB Beauty, the Comfort Zone palette was $8.50 CAD, and the trios were $5.00 CAD each (plus tax). Shipping was $15.98 CAD. I noticed they have improved their shipping options, with regular shipping $7.99 and express shipping $12.99, and free shipping now on orders $50 or more (yay!). Shipping was very fast and the eyeshadows arrived in perfect condition. I would definitely recommend this site for Canadian makeup shoppers.
Thanks for stopping by! ❤
Nerdy Librarian Girl